Christmas countdown has officially begun! I can't realize we are in December. My definition of December = snow, red cheeks and snowsuits... Last weekend, on our way to the beach, we could see hundreds of christmas trees tied on top of car's roofs! That's when it hit me: it's already been 6 months since we moved to California. Our baby girl will be turning one year old in a few days.
Anyway, I have to say Christmas is my favorite holiday. I'm pretty sure my husband is going to laugh at me when he'll read this... he always says that EVERY holiday is my favorite holiday. I'm just that kind of girl. I get easily excited by these things! It's really not about the gifts... I just like being with my family, cooking and sharing great meals together (even if the kitchen look likes a war zone!), having time to talk, spending time with my man... I even confess I like to listing to Christmas music... This year, it's even more special. As much as I like my new Californian life (and California weather!), I can't wait to go back in my snowy hometown for 2 weeks and see all my friends and family! Yeah!
Every year, we make gingerbread cookies. It's a tradition for us. Noah loves to shape these little men as much as eating them! We can't get enough of our favorite holiday/winter ingredients : cinnamon, ginger, pecans and molasses. This year, I also swapped our regular granola recipe for this "Christmas-edition" gingerbread granola. It is crunchy and has those flavours we all like so much. I also added dried cranberries, goji berries and pistachios. It gives this granola a festive taste and look. And I love it ! :)
It's so perfect served on top of coconut or cashew yogurt with a winter fruit salad : mandarines, apples, bananas, pomegranates and persimmon. I would eat this granola for breakfast all year long!
Oh... and if you're searching for a DIY Christmas gift, this might be the recipe you're looking for ! It is gluten-free (if you use gluten-free or oats), egg free, dairy-free, easy to do and so delicious, i'm pretty sure anyone would enjoy it!
Xmas granola : cranberry, goji berry, pistachio & gingerbread spices granola
Adapted from Your Homebased Mom
4 cups rolled oats (certified gluten-free if you prefer)
2 cups coconut flakes
1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
A pinch ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup extra virgin organic coconut oil
3 tablespoons organic blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raw pistachios
1 cup unsulfuried dried cranberries
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup goji berries
1/4 cup candied ginger (optional)
- Preheat your oven at 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut flakes, coarsely chopped almonds and spices.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the coconut oil and pour over the mixture. Stir well.
- Add the molasses (if you use the same measuring spoon you used for the coconut oil, it will help to prevent the molasses to stick), maple syrup and vanilla. Mix until evenly coated.
- Pour the granola onto a parchment covered baking pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for about 10 minutes. Stir and bake again for another 10 minutes or until golden. Be sure to keep a close eye and stir if necessary (the coconut burn easily and cooking time vary based on the type on baking pan you're using and whether you double or cut the recipe).
- Remove the pan. Stir while it cools (to prevent the granola from sticking to the pan). Add the pistachios, dried cranberries, candied ginger, chia seeds and goji berry and mix to combine.