This smoothie is so refreshing! My son loves it ! Every time I give my baby girl her own little bowl of that bright and citrusy smoothie she also asks for "more more more" (in sign language of course... ;)! When we don't feel like drinking a green smoothie, this one's definitely one of our favorites! The blood oranges and the lime juice pair perfectly with the hemp seeds and the goji berries.
This recipe is super healthy and high in vitamins, minerals and antioxydants. Here are a few interesting facts about this smoothie :
- Known as a superfood, goji berries are just amazing! They have been used in Traditional Chinese medicine for over 2000 years because of their high content in antioxydant, vitamins and minerals.
- Blood oranges also are high sources of antioxydant and vitamin C (for more information see my zen turmeric pancakes recipe)
- Hemp seeds are packed with complete protein (that include all of the essentiel amino acids), omega fatty acids, fiber, antioxydants and minerals.
- Coconut water is rich in potassium
- The only "sweetener" in this smoothie is a banana. If you like your smoothies a little bit sweeter, feel free to add a touch of honey or maple syrup!
Tip of the day : every time I find ripe organic bananas, I buy a lot! I mean... a LOT! Enough to get a weird look from the cashier when I unload my grocery cart... ;) I peel them and freeze them (in big freezer bags) so I can always have a ripe banana ready for my morning smoothies.
Blood orange, goji & hemp smoothie
Yield : 2 servings
1 frozen banana
2-3 tablespoons hemp seeds
1/2 cup coconut water
1/4 cup goji berries
2 blood oranges, peeled
1/4 cup lime juice
Blend all the ingredients together in a high speed blender. Enjoy immediately!