My husband and I have been together for more than ten years (!). That means he knows how to make me happy. This past Valentine's day, he gave me a brand new ice cream machine (I was still searching for the perfect machine, remember?)! No chocolate, diamond or flowers (he still brought me the most beautiful flowers!) could've made me happier than this new kitchen gadget! And he knows it! It also means that I have the best husband... but most probably that he had huge ice cream cravings ;)
This ice cream is delicious, minty, rich, silky. See my other post for the complete story : Vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwich.
VEGAN MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM
Adapted from Minimalist baker
- 1,5 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight or at least 8 hours)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 can (14 onces) full fat organic coconut milk
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (to taste)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot (for texture) - optional
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (at least 70%)
- Put your ice cream machine bowl in the freezer the night before.
- Drain and rinse your soaked cashews.
- Add all the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions (usually for 20-45 minutes, until thick soft). Once the ice cream is almost done, add the chocolate chips and let churn for a few more minutes.
- Note that homemade ice cream stays kind of soft. If you want a thicker ice cream, transfer your ice cream in a container and store in the freezer. You may have to let thaw on the counter for 15-20 minutes before serving, to soften.