Açai bowls are so freaking good! Oh my goodness!!! As I explained in one of my previous post (Blueberry, acai & coconut paletas), an açai bowl is like a frozen yogurt/sorbet/thick smoothie topped with granola, fresh fruit, coconut flakes and other healthy garnishes. The small purple berries are full of antioxidants, omega fatty acids, fiber, minerals and other incredibly powerful nutrients, making this bowl the perfect post-workout treat or breakfast.
The "açai bowl" trend is very strong in Hawaii, but also here in California. I often grab a bowl at my new favourite açai bowl eatery based in downtown Palo Alto, called BARE BOWLS. They make the most awesome pure açai bowls and smoothies!
You can buy açai berries dried, as a powder, juice or a frozen puree. Note that if you can’t find açai, you can use more frozen berries instead and still have a hearty and filling smoothie bowl.
Yield : 2 servings
- 2 açai frozen bars (or 3-4 tablespoons açai powder)
- 2 bananas or the flesh of 2 mangos (frozen or not)
- 1 cup frozen berries (I like a mix of blueberries and raspberries)
- 3-4 tablespoons almond butter (optional)
- Toppings : coconut flakes, homemade granola, fresh fruits, bee pollen etc.
- Blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender (or quality blender) together until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with your favourite toppings and serve immediately.