I can't believe I waited 32 years to taste my very first passion fruit. I mean... I had some passion fruit juice blends or desserts before, but never tasted the whole fruit. I think it might be the most delicious fruit in the world! The flavour is so delicious, fun and exotic... Kind of hard to describe. When I was a kid, I hated candies and sweet desserts... But I couldn't resist sour candies ! Well... These sour and crunchy passion fruit seeds reminded me of those candies! Felt like a kid again :)
Also know as grenadilla or "lilikoi", passion fruit is a tropical fruit that contains crunchy edible seeds and sour juice. And the passion fruit flower is so beautiful! You want to pick the ones that are sweet and ripe enough, meaning you should choose those who are slightly wrinkled and that have a deep purple color. You can also shake the fruit. If it feels like there is a lot of liquid inside, it also means there should be a lot of delicious seeds to eat.
The wrinkle purple skin and the "alien-ish" apparence was keeping me from trying it, but I have to say... the outside sure doesn't reflect the inside for passion fruit! The tropical fragrance is just irresistible ! My kids are both CRAZY about it!
Since I'm always looking for original and hearty breakfast recipes, I created this tropical sprouted buckwheat porridge (inspired by my strawberry pistachio buckwheat porridge). The bottom layer consist in blended raw and sprouted buckwheat groats, bananas, flax seeds, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and coconut milk. The final result of this nutritious porridge is silky, creamy and just divine. It kind of reminds me of a "Budwig cream".
In keeping with the tropical theme, I went all out. I topped this creamy porridge with a mango and passion fruit sauce, passion fruit seeds and toasted coconut flakes.
Note that this mango passion fruit sauce would be perfect on yogurt, on top of vanilla/coconut ice cream or a raw cheesecake, in cocktails or in smoothies, etc...
Creamy banana-coconut raw buckwheat porridge w/passion fruit-mango sauce & toasted coconut flakes
Yield : 2-3 servings
Ingredients for the buckwheat porridge :
- 1 cup soaked (at least 8 hours or overnight) buckwheat groats (more infos here)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk or other plant milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
Ingredients for the mango-passion fruit sauce :
- 2 cups fresh or frozen mango, peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup water
- Pulp (seeds) of 5-6 passion fruits (see note)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Toasted coconut flakes
- 3-4 Passion fruits
- For the buckwheat porridge : blend all the ingredients together in a high speed blender until creamy and soft. Set aside.
- For the sauce : blend all the ingredients together.
- Pour porridge in a jar and garnish with the sauce and coconut flakes (toasted at 350F for about 7-10 minutes).
Note : if you can't find fresh passion fruit, you can use pure passion fruit coulis or do the recipe with mango only.