Have you tried strawberry chia jam? It's delicious, super easy to make and not to mention it's an healthy alternative to the store-bought, refined sugar filled jams you can find in all groceries.
Chia seeds have the unique ability to thicken a liquid. They not only replace pectine in this jam recipe. They also provide good omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and fiber. Your jam will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
You can use this jam on your favorite grilled bread. I also like to use it on top of an overnight oats jar, a chia pudding, a coconut panna cotta, homemade vegan ice cream, yogurt, pancakes or crepes (or my beautiful strawberry-creme mille crepes cake) !
Strawberry chia jam
Recipe slightly adapted from Oh She Glows
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey, agave nectar or coconut sugar)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- In a medium sized pot, add the chopped strawberries, vanilla, lemon juice, maple syrup. Heat over medium for about 5 minutes. Add the chia seeds and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix the strawberries with a hand mixer or food processor until the texture you want (I like when you can still see chunks of strawberries).
- Store the jam in the fridge for about one week.