Ever since we bought our high speed blender (Vitamix), we drink a smoothie almost every morning. At first, my husband was complaining about their taste when I added a few green leaves. But last year, on our trip to New York, we took a green smoothie at the Grand Central Terminal in a small grab-and-go shop. It probably was the first one my husband drank with good appetite (in seconds!). The secret ingredients were fresh ginger and lime juice. We now add those in every green smoothie we make and they always come out great ! No more complaints !
The secret behind a good, nutritious smoothie is to find the right balance between fruits, proteins (seeds, nut butters or protein powders) and other superfoods. Be sure to use ripe fruits (that's really the key here!) when you create a green smoothie to balance the bitterness of the green leaves. Smoothies are quick to prepare and there are endless possibilities and variations.
Few facts about this smoothie recipe :
- Hemp seeds are a complete source or protein, are rich in fibres and also contain the ideal balance of omega 3-6-9 fatty acids.
- Spirulina is a blue-green algae that grows on the surface of lakes. It contains all the essential amino acids and is rich in antioxydants, vitamins and minerals.
- Coconut water is rich in potassium. You can also use almond milk, coconut milk or fresh orange juice.
- Almond butter adds proteins in the smoothie. You can substitute for pumpkin butter for a higher content of Iron.
- As with any leafy green, choose organic whenever possible.
Iron man's green smoothie
Yield : serves 2 large smoothies
1 cup organic swiss chard, kale or spinach leaves (stems removed)
2 ripe bananas
1-3 tablespoons almond butter (or pumpkin butter) - optional
1 teaspoon spirulina powder (optional)
1-2 tablespoons hemp seeds
1 teaspoon fresh grounded ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup coconut water (or 1 cup orange juice or 1 cup plant milk)
- In a high speed blender, blend on high until super smooth.
- You can add a bit of water if necessary.
- If not sweet enough, you can add a bit of honey or maple syrup.
- Enjoy immediately !