This is probably my favourite pasta recipe ever. It's inspired by a dish I enjoyed in Tuscany (Italy) a few years ago. I can't remember where exactly... probably somewhere near the Piazza del Campo in Sienne or on a terrace next to a busy street of Florence. One thing I remember was the incredible taste of this super easy recipe. The dish consisted of a simple mix of pine nuts, raisins and sautéed nettles on pasta. Good and fresh products, good and memorable meals. Basic principle :)
I know I've said it before, but I really prefer recipes that combine different texture and flavours, like sweet, salty & crunchy. This one is a good example. The ingredients may surprise a bit... but trust me, you are going to find that they get along very well. Total hit every time I put this pasta plate on the table!
And only a few (incredible!) ingredients :
- Caramelized onions
- Sautéed kale
- Pine nuts (pricey but a few make the difference!)
- Fresh goat cheese
- Lots and lots of freshly ground black pepper
Fettuccini w/kale, pine nuts, raisins, goat cheese & caramelized onions
Yield : 4 to 6 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
500g gluten-free fettuccini (or you favourite pasta)
2 bunches of organic kale, minced
1/4 cup pine nuts (omit for a nut-free version)
1/2 cup raisins
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
10 onces fresh goat cheese or almond cheese (for vegans)
Salt to taste
- In a large pan, add the olive oil and the onions and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Lower the heat and continue to cook for about 15 minutes or until the onions are soft and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as indicated on the package in hot boiling water with a pinch of salt until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
- When the onions are ready, add the minced kale and cook for another 8 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the pine nuts, raisins, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour in the cooked pasta and mix to combine. Add half of the goat cheese and mix gently 2-3 times (you still want to see pieces of goat cheese).
- Crumble the rest of the goat cheese on top of the pasta. Serve immediately. Buon appetito !